Thursday, May 26, 2011

Paperback novel part lV

Notice how agile I am with Roman numerals?  Since this was a single strip new spine, and not a whole new cover, or wrap around spine, I added tape.  Clear heavy duty tape.  Regular packing tape isn't thick enough. Keeping your fingerprints off it is the biggest challenge.  I like to lay/lie the book down on my gridded cutting matt.  That way I can use the lines to guide me into placing the tape on straight.  Run a bone folder, or plastic spatula like tool such as in the picture, to make sure there are no air bubbles and the tape is firmly attached.  Then I flip the book over and starting in the middle use my thumbs to press the tape evenly onto the spine.  Pull it over onto the back cover in a similar manner and smooth out the tape with the tool. 

To finish off, make a cut, angling inward, from the edge of the tape to the edge of the text block at the point the cover opens away from the pages.  Fold the tape around the cover top and bottom front and back, then cut flat to the spine ends the remaining tape.

Volia, she's done.

No comments:

Post a Comment