Wednesday, March 30, 2011

avoiding a sharpie: part 2

If using the original spine is not an option, and creating a matching spine is not possible...forgot to mention last time that using a lazer printer is greatly to be desired when printing a replacement spine...you can write onto the book tape used to replace the spine.  In this image I have used a calligraphy dip pen and white acrylic paint.  The paint needs to be watered a bit, but only a very little bit.  I dipped the nib into water then stroked it through the paint a couple of times to get it the right consistency. If you want a thicker line the bookstore on campus sells dip nibs; they were about 50 cents last time I got some. The pen holders are not to much either (slightly less stylish than the one in the picture, a Christmas gift from my brother).  And Walmart sells cheap acrylic for about $2.00 a bottle.  I used Golden, but I am in the middle of a painting and it was on the palette.

2 comments:

  1. Oooh, very pretty! I wish I could do something like that, but alas, my handwriting is nowhere near as nice as yours.

    ReplyDelete